Job type: Full-time
Role: Backend Developer
java, oop, design
Kapsch TrafficCom is a global leader in the ITS (Intelligent Transportation Systems) industry, focused on connected vehicles, highway traffic management, electronic tolling, and smart city solutions.
Learn what keeps Kapsch “always one step ahead” in people and technology by visiting our website https://www.kapsch.net/us/ktc
As part of the back-end development team, you will be developing, improving, and maintaining multiple products designed on the principles of an N-tier architecture. Primarily, the work entails creating and securing APIs to internal and external teams and third parties, with one or more RDBMS back-ends. As a Level 2 developer you will likely mentor junior developers, and have input into the implementation of software solutions. The products consists of generic cores that are customized, and extended by modules for individual customers. You will also be expected to interact with members of other teams during design, development, and maintenance of deliverables. The main products are mission-critical transaction processing systems, similar to a clearing-house application, with supporting applications that provide diagnostics and infrastructure monitoring.
The work is deadline-focused and project-based, with occasional travel.
Location: downtown Austin (until April 2019) Southeast Austin, near the airport (after April 2019)
Some perks include: competitive compensation package, occasional outings, and a collaborative work environment, core hours, parking.
· Degree in computer science or related field
· 4+ years’ experience in web development experience using Java/C#
· 3+ years’ experience installing, maintaining, and deploying Java based Application Servers (Tomcat/Wildfly)
· 3+ years’ experience with any scripting/interpreted language such as Bash/Python
· 3+ years’ experience with tooling like Docker, Ansible, and Maven/Gradle
· Superior English writing, typing, and communication skills
· Understanding of enterprise software design principles – architecture, design patterns, OOP
· Team oriented mindset, good source control practices, while able to fully complete tasks & objectives independently
· Able and willing to communicate honestly, proficiently, and professionally with other team members, external teams
· Experience with RDMS backends ( Oracle/PostgreSQL/MySQL )
Beneficial education, skills, and work experience:
· Comfort using a *nix terminal (no GUI)
· Comfort with multi-threaded applications
· Familiarity with at least one modern framework
· Enjoying unit testing, documentation, design reviews, and code reviews
· Desire to learn new skills, improve existing ones, and continuously improve professionally with on the job training